Tuesday, May 13, 2008

The Little Things Aren't so Scary Anymore.....

Let me start off by saying that hubby & I used to be in financial straits. We slowly climbed out of that mess and am now Debt Free including the house! I don't share this to sound like a braggart, but I am very proud of what we have accomplished in the last few years. We are still relatively young, early 30's, so we are looking forward to really building our retirement fund.

Hubby stopped at a store on his way from work today and the truck just wouldn't start afterwards. So he called me to let me know and even tried jumping it but no luck. He just happened to be near an auto parts store. One of the guys looked at it and told him he needed a new battery. He gets a new battery installed, and it was $70 w/ tax. Not cheap but not as expensive as a new starter or alternator. We had the alternator rebuilt about 3 years ago so he got a little worried.

A few years ago that $70 would have been a big deal to us because we really lived paycheck to paycheck. It really hurts not to have anything in savings for these little emergencies, but it really hurts for the bigger $500-1,000+ ones. I have several books that I really enjoyed reading and my two favorites are The Complete Tightwad Gazette and Total Money Makeover. They have both helped us, and as I said in my title the little things aren't so scary once you have money saved up for them.

0 comments: