Sunday, August 3, 2008

TMR Frugal Living Tip #15

Today's thrifty tip is use a Brillo pad to clean tarnished brass. I have a front door handle that was from 1949 and was pretty tarnished. We lived here for 11 years and never once cleaned it so it was overdue. We didn't want to replace the door since it's a solid door and original to this 54 year old house. We tried polishing it first but then the carpenter suggested a brillo pad. Darned if it didn't work. I couldn't believe how it just melted off the brass. I was so impressed and of course it did need some elbow grease around the corners. Once it was all cleaned and dried, then we used brass polisher. I wished I had taken before pics but here is an after picture. I also read on the box that it would work on silver.

1 comments:

book_it said...

That actually looks pretty good. Brass enhances any door.