Friday, January 2, 2009

TMR Frugal Living Tip #54

Today's thrifty living tip is use use recipes from old cookbooks. I prefer to use the ones from the 70's and before. My favorite one to use is Better Homes and Garden that is dated from the 1960's. I like it since there are great tips that many people don't use anymore and I'm not bombarded with name brands. Of course we no longer have to sift our flour, but I find many of the recipes are easy to make and are timeless. Another reason I like them better is they are usually obtained either free from a relative or very cheaply at a yard sale or thrift store. I bought the one I use often for a buck, and it's still in wonderful condition. I also like that it was made in a binder style so the book stays open and it's easy for me to read it while cooking. I have also found some really great recipes on the internet. I recently made pizza dough from scratch that was very delicious. My husband and son loved it. My next projects is to experiment with making bread from scratch.

2 comments:

Nessa said...

I love this tip! MY MIL bought me two "vintage" recipe card boxes at an antique store for my birthday. Both were jammed completely full of recipes we've been trying. They really are more frugal.

Anonymous said...

What? I no longer need to sift my flour. I really didn't know that. But I have a lot of old recipes from my mom and grandmothers. I guess I never realized this. Oh well, I do love my old fashion sifter and will probably still use it.