Tuesday, October 13, 2009

TMR Frugal Living Tip #70

Today's thrifty living tip is make your own cleaners. You are literally pouring money down the drain along with caustic chemicals. I put vinegar in a small spray bottle to use for counters, the sink, and cutting boards. It disinfects and won't hurt anyone if ingested including kids and pets. This would also be great for high chairs and cleaning kids toys. I also use vinegar in the toilet bowl and bathroom sinks. Vinegar makes a great fabric softener and disinfects my towels and sheets. To clean vinyl floors I again reach for vinegar. It cleans my floors well and the smell usually goes away within twenty minutes.

For my stove top, I make a paste of baking soda and water. Just be careful not to get it close to the burner openings. I let it sit for 20 minutes, and just remove with a cloth and warm water. I may have to use a little elbow grease on the burnt on stuff, but this usually loosens it up making it easy to clean. There are lots of great recipes on the internet so just google homemade cleaners.

4 comments:

KrysTros said...

I use vinegar for everything too. I have granite counters and nothing makes them shine the way a little spray of vinegar and water does. It also ERASES bad smells after cooking.

Maryanne Gobble said...

I had not heard of it used as a fabric softener. I'll have to look into that! Thanks.

Mama G @ bigcraftyblog.blogspot.com said...

I make a great homemade laundry soap that is sooo cheap and eliminates so much packaging. I just posted some directions yesterday here www.glennfamilygardens.blogspot.com

Smart choices said...

Very useful information. I will come to this website again!