Monday, October 19, 2009

Check Out Savings from the Library!

I visit my local library branch at least once to twice a week. I have befriended the librarians and it's free entertainment. My branch has public computers which is great if you don't have your own. They will print stuff for you off the computer, and are competitive in price with most print shops. You can also have papers copied and/or faxed. I live in a rural town so the closest store is at least a 12-15 minute drive. I save money in gas since my branch is about a mile from my house.

The library has several newspapers that I can read for free. The ladies let me have the sales ads and coupons from the Sunday paper. I can rent DVD movies for a week at a time, and they do get some of the newer ones. I am impressed with the selection and it changes weekly which is nice. I can also request any movie that the bigger branch has.

I really like to read the magazines they have in stock. Again they have a great selection. I am allowed to check out the older issues for a week. I recently asked for any back copies they were going to throw out of a particular one I really enjoy. Since it's a magazine about gardening and basic wood working, then the information isn't dated and can be used at any time. Of course you can check out the most obvious item which are books.

On weekends and in the summer, they have story time and crafts for the kids. My son loves participating in the summer reading program. Each child receives a free small cheese pizza to a pizza shop for participating. They also get entered into a drawing. He won the grand prize this year which was a $15 gift card to Wal-Mart! If you don't go to your library then it's time you check it out.

4 comments:

The Thrifty Momma Says said...

My kids (2 and 5) think the library is the only place you can rent movies. I have a large library so they also love the puppet shows and story time that they have almost every day. Next week they are having a costume contest and a pumpkin decorating contest for the little ones.

Steve Borgman said...

There's only one thing to watch out for, and that's the overdue fines! What's helped is a feature with self check-out, where you can have a reminder e-mailed to you. That has saved me a lot of $$ this year ;)

Lego Party, SLC said...

I also love the library. I love the ability to put everything on hold from my home computer and then go in and pick it up. It makes for much easier library trips with my kids because I'm not searching for stuff I need so much.

sanketmani said...

nice post amazing .thanks..